Friday, November 29, 2013

Firefox OS: Part 2 (so far...)


Welcome everyone,


So here I am again testing out the super low-budget ZTE Open smartphone which runs Firefox OS. I gave it another shot because I was stuck with a certain smartphone which I didn't want to hang onto anymore. (Read review about my previous experience here) Not only did I not want to keep it around but it was very difficult to sell it. I had to drop the price online basically $100 when its a rather new smartphone but not one of the popular. When I was able to sell this device, I was left with some money to use for another smartphone. I had two choices, a used but in great condition (also unlocked and rooted) Google HTC Nexus One, or a brand new previously owned ZTE Open from eBay. I gave the ZTE Open a shot some time ago but was left with a basically better experience due to lack of updates thanks to ZTE solely. Firefox is doing their job with actually updating the software for Firefox OS but the problem is when the manufacturer is lagging behind sitting comfortably in their seat while users who if even are developers, have to wait around for specific update software for their device due to failed signatures when trying to flash in recovery.




Why did I choose a device that gave me issues before, again? Well, I love Mozilla's ethics. I love what they're trying to do with Firefox OS. I have hope for noble endeavors like this. Now, what is bitter-sweet is that owners of Geeksphone Firefox OS devices, have already version 1.3 running on their phones. Those users who got a great deal with the $80 eBay ZTE Open, unlocked and ready to go, have to wait and I guess enjoy their 1.0. This probably doesn't sound like much of a problem to many, but those who know what I'm talking about understand the differences between 1.0 and 1.3. I've seen videos on YouTube of how 1.2 and 1.3 looks and it's impressive to me for such a little device to run so smoothly and do so much. That's so incredible to me.

I wrote this basically to let others ZTE Open users (ebay version) know that I know it's a pain and to bring awareness to other lovers of Firefox OS. BTW, ZTE USA said a few days ago on Twitter that apparently the 1.1 update is coming to ZTE Open's US & UK from ebay "next week".





So let's hope and see if this comes to surface. Also, as a side note, I did root my ZTE Open and I tried to flash the Spain 1.1 version on my US version that was running 1.0 and no luck at all.
Part of me wishes I went with the Nexus One, but I can't completely knock my ZTE Open until I see 1.1+ running with my own eyes.

Thanks for reading


-Raf

No comments:

Post a Comment