Friday, November 15, 2013

How and Why I got a Chromebook

How and Why I got a Chromebook


The Beginning

It started a over a day ago. I’ve had my Lenovo G585 Windows 8/8.1 laptop since I bought it brand new at black friday a year ago for $200. It was a solid laptop with no overheating issues or anything like that, only the typical and much pleasured Windows updates that get you out of nowhere and may even grace you with updating while you’re doing something very important.
I’ve been involved in Windows Phone development as a complete beginner since I got the G585, maybe a number of months before that even. As time went by I realized that many things cost. To run Hyper-V, not only do you need a total of 4gb RAM, but you also need Windows 8 Pro, not just Windows 8. So I worked with what I had and continued to use my laptop. I swapped it with back and forth with Ubuntu, Fedora and even the beautiful Elementary OS. I ended up back at Windows 8 til the update to Windows 8.1. Now this isn’t to trash Windows. It has it perks such as every OS. But also it’s flaws like any other. For some time now though I’ve been thoroughly intrigued by the simplicity, efficiency and lightweight yet productive aura. After having and using Windows 8.1 for a little while, which I must say is a
huge improvement over basic Windows 8, I heard about the Google Chrome dev build for the browser that was coming to Windows 8. This was supposed to be a version of Google Chrome which the user opens from the Windows 8 start menu (“Metro”, lol it just fits), and not only does it run the Chrome browser, but runs a full-screen version of Chrome in the fashion of Chrome OS but leaving out the ability (at the moment) to change background and go into settings.

Thank you Windows



After downloading the Chrome from the
dev channel and setting as default on Windows 8.1, I was able to get my first taste of Chrome OS. I couldn’t use anything else. I just forgot about everything else on my laptop. It was awesome. But I did notice some lag most likely due to everything else featured on this laptop PC. And some features of this Windows version of Chrome OS did not work. Wow, it really feels weird saying anything about Google and Microsoft cooperating in the same sentence, lol. Anyways, I’m a firm believer in that if you want to try something, go for it. Don’t let anyone stop you or persuade you to do anything else. Of course, this comes after you do your research and make sure this is what you want to do. I had so much on my G585 that I never used and when I began using the developer preview of Chrome OS on Windows 8.1, I realised what it was that I really need in my computing lifestyle.

Just do it!


Then what happened was long overdue. I went forward to plan on selling my G585 or trading for a Chromebook evenly. I was going to take pics and put it up on Craigslist locally with a specific post for the trade/sale but I figured I’d consult for advice in the awesome Chromebook community I’ve been a part of for a little while over on Google+. Before getting to this point I already began a week before, asking those who have listed their used Chromebooks for sale, if they’d like to trade but I had no luck at all. A couple of them emailed me back and said they’re just looking for cash and no trades, so I kept looking around. Back to the Chromebook advice. The community over there is incredible and so helpful. I wrote a post asking for advice on what would be the best Chromebook I should trade for according to the value of my Lenovo G585. I got great responses which I took note of and went from there. That same day right after the discussion on Google+, I saw someone in my same city posted a used Chromebook they were selling so I jumped the gun and shot them an email asking if they’re interested in a trade. They wrote back with questions about my laptop and it went from there and it happened that evening! Met the guy, swapped out my Windows 8.1 laptop with box and charger for the Samsung Chromebook XE303C12 with box and charger as well.


It was a quick and easy fix. Now is when the fun starts! As soon I my wife and I opened it up, we were star struck. Note, that my wife for example, barely ever cared to open up a laptop, whether it had Windows 8, OSX, or Ubuntu, she’d just rather grab her phone and do what she needed to do. But now, she’s constantly asking to use the Chromebook, which is awesome to see. She at first wanted a tablet at some point in the future, now she wants a Chromebook. The speed of this little beast is astounding. The battery life is amazing. The productivity you can do on here is  very impressive. What need is there for all of the “extras” in other desktop or laptop PCs? This is a new era where we start to notice what we truly need and go from there. Aside from all of the bloatware on Windows PCs, I never used anything other than the Web. There is so much one can do on the Web now, from editing documents and creating powerpoints, to creating music and artwork. After taking this sort of risk, I realized so much more on what I really need in my computing life. There may be times where you need a heavy program for something work related, but there are always alternatives and ways to get around. Sometimes I feel that I can do more with this Chromebook than my previous Windows laptop. The G585 was slow and heavy, this is fast and light. And it has an HDMI port, unlike the G585. I highly recommend a Chromebook for anyone to help put things back in perspective, because face it, the Web is the future and this is the vehicle. So I’m glad to say that now my computing aspect of life will be as efficient as my daily lifestyle and thank you Google for the awesome work you do. Now let’s see if we’ll have a Chromephone coming soon! ;)
I’d really like to thank everyone that helped me in the Google Plus Chromebooks Community for their honest help and friendliness as well.

To infinity and beyond!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard! I've been living Chromebook since May 2012. Similar story with my wife who never touched any of my old computers. We both have Chromebooks now. Me Acer C7 Her Samsung Series 3. Very happy with our decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to gear that. They're such a pleasure to use!

      Delete
  2. Really thinking about getting one myself. Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derrick. And yeah, just do your research to determine the right one for you.

      Delete
  3. I was actually thinking about a chrome book. I played with one in best buy and im currently on a Android Tablet Asus Transformer300 running chrome browser and, I have to admit I seen some big improvements in the last two months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true. And many more improvements coming soon. Including better hardware, although with my Samsung Series 3 Chromebook, it has basic hardware and runs like a champ! A new Asus one is launching soon, see more here: http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/11/14/asus-plans-to-launch-a-249-chromebook-in-the-first-quarter-of-next-year/?awesm=tnw.to_r9T8&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=social+media&utm_medium=Spreadus

    ReplyDelete